Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Not Meaning Whores...

I actually received some comments on my titling of the "Prostitution" post and thought I would clear some things up. First, yes, I know the dates on some of my posts are wrong, this is because I often start them on one day and then let them sit for days at a time before finishing them. The Prostitution piece went up last night, but I already got a couple of emails regarding the title and why it was used. I want to just say that I meant no offense to anyone in that profession, also that I am not in fact a prostitute myself, so no Tiffany S, I will not be performing that transaction with you.

One definition for prostitution is the use of a talent or skill for an unworthy cause. While writing my post I was considering this a lot and I was thinking of what a worthy cause really is, and it seems to me also that some talents are considered unworthy at the outset regardless of what they are used for. Specifically within our society it is considered largely unnacceptable for women to use seduction and their bodies for any goal. That isn't to say that strip clubs aren't ridiculously popular, but to admit that one is a stripper becomes an embarassment. This is an extreme example.

I remember in my own life finding out that a girl I knew was leading a guy on so get discounts on purchases for some expensive stuff. I thought it was pretty disgusting at the time, and I think a lot of people would agree. In reflection however I thought, why not? Am I suggesting that I wouldn't do anything I could to save 50 bucks if it meant lying? The truth is that there's nothing really wrong with this kind of behavior, everyone's got their talents and it's foolish not to employ them.

Prostitution however as I said is the employment of a talent for an unworthy cause. Obviously this is mostly tied to sexual favors for money in our society, so I'd like to address this. Please be open minded in reading this, I really don't need a slew of emails telling me about how wrong I am, trust that I fully respect your opinions on the subject and am simply offering my own. Anyway, I have decided that I do not disagree morally with prostitution, and following I will tell you why.

Prostituion is profession of using sex to gain money. The acquisition of money is thought of as an unworthy cause, however in looking at my own life I find it difficult to find a time when I have had sex for a cause more worthy than money. This might sound strange, but think about it, money in our society represents the ability to survive, it represents paying rent, eating, and putting clothes on your back. I can't think of many more worth causes than that. When I look at the childish reasons that I've had sex it all seems rather meaningless. For pleasure, hell yeah, but how does my selfishness compare to the whore supporting her kid? I've fucked out of hatred and anger, I've fucked for revenge, I've fucked for control. These things, these things are wrong, and I'm not alone, I can think of a number of women who've tried to manipulate or control me using sex. To me, this kind of thing is just a little more wrong than putting food on the table.

Of course there's also the prevalence of drug addiction in prostitution, selling yourself to get money to fuel your addiction, and then there's the diseases, I think that's a case of more responsibility though. Maybe we just need more respectable and responsible prostitutes.

No comments: