Friday, January 5, 2007

Pimp My Vaccuum

So I totally forgot to actually write about what I wanted to regarding QVC in my rush to get to work this morning. Last night my roommate and I sat down to watch some QVC, as is our custom on rare occassions, QVC can really be pretty hilarious in the wee hours of the morning. Tonight though we tuned in just in time for a showcase of some new bra, I forget what it was called. Anyway, we watched in silence for about 10 minutes, during which time they were explaining how these bras worked. The whole time I was sitting and just marvelling at the level of technological development that has gone into the female undergarment industry, I mean seriously some of the stuff they were explaining sounded so ingenious that it must have come from some MIT engineering grad.
My roommate watched in a similar silence and told me what he had been thinking about later. Apparently he had a rather different reaction to my astonishment at the technological end of the show. My roommate told me how amazed he was that women wear underwear. He stared me right in the eye and said something very similar to "It's like they do people things....you know, like regular people do." Aparently in the 10 minutes of watching this QVC showcase my roommate had stumbled upon the fact that women are actual functioning human beings, as opposed to just being antagonists, extras, background npcs, supporting cast, red shirts, whatever terminology you want to use.
It's long been a theory of mine that a lot of the hatred and misunderstanding that exists in the world stems from the fact that people do not recognize one another as being people, as I have said before, we all use labels to simplify people and negate the reality of their existence, maybe we could all take a page out of my roommate's book and take a minute when we judge someone to realize that hey....that person put underwear on this morning too.

No comments: