Wednesday, January 24, 2007

We are the chameleons

It is important to realize at any given time that you have the unique opportunity to be whoever it is you wish to be. Right now I am in a Barton classroom preparing a lesson outline on the whiteboards for a class which does not exist. Due to my mode of dress it can easily be inferred that I am not a teacher. I found this classroom because it has a sign posted on the door saying that the lecture which would normally have occupied it during this time has been moved to another room entirely. 2 students have come in upon seeing me, I simply informed them that yes their classroom had been changed and this was currently the classroom for Psychology 243. Two hundred and Forty Three seemed a good course number to pick, since it seems like one which most likely does not exist and is therefore rather unlikely that any students would possibly be taking it to call me out.
I don't really think any of that is a necessary thought process since when it comes down to it my attitude and confidence alone are enough to disuade questions. This brings me to my point, we do all enjoy the luxury of being who we wish. You can create your reality as you choose by simply believing it and stepping forwards, a casual confidence is necessary throughout life in order to fit in as you wish, beyond that it is simply a case of choosing your role. My example is an extreme one, obviously I am not a college professor, but playing the part of one for this small time is certainly entertaining me, and the metaphoric and symbollic nature of what I am doing is demonstrative of the more subtle overarching ideal. This life is as much a work of theater as anything else, appearances are in fact what matters to the world, and events which are meaningless in any kind of grand view of things are still scenes within the play and they can enrich or depress us all.
Be what you wish, do as you desire, never let anybody tell you that you are not good enough or have no way, for in admitting defeat and in acknowledging the doubts of others we find ourselves being defeated. Never surrender and always be willing to change your role. We are each the chameleons of this society, and to change our skin is to change our existence within it.

1 comment:

Zack Cyphers said...

Sam, you are my hero.
That is all,
Zack